Removing smoke smells from your house by the Best and Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL. Cigarette smoke adheres to the air long after a smoker has left. Ask a non-smoker that has ventured into a home after someone has smoked inside and they’ll tell you. Air freshener just doesn’t do the trick in helping to remove the smell of cigarettes, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
Even after spending a few hours at a club or bar, the stench of cigarettes seems to permeate long after the night has ended. But, you CAN remove evidence of cigarette smoke. Below, are some suggestions, says the Foremost Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Carpets soak up the last bit of smoke so they need to be deep cleaned. Do a thorough vacuum cleaning throughout the house on the strongest suction. If you have any particular problem in a particular room, sprinkle the carpet with baking soda and allow it to sit for 25-30 minutes before running the vacuum over the floor one more time, says the 45 Year Old Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Cigarette smoke clings also to walls and furniture. Use a mixture of warm water and dish soap and wash your walls first, scrubbing them in a circular motion. Then mix a 1:1 solution of white, distilled vinegar and water, dab it on with some paper towels, and use this on every hard surface in your house, says the Best Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Wash all your fabrics with vinegar. Remove the cushions from your couch, take down the curtains, and gather any fabrics around your home such as throw pillows, covers and blankets. Turn everything inside out and toss them into the washing machine, using 1 to 1 ½ cups white vinegar. This will help eliminate the smoke smell, proclaims Dial-A-Maid.
- Paint the walls, after you have scrubbed them.
- Don’t forget to change out your home’s air filters immediately after a smoker. It’s possible that smoke is actually trapped in the filter and is recirculating through you house, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
If you have followed all the advice above, chances are your home is almost smoke free. To ensure it is, place small dishes of vinegar around the home and leave them alone for 48 hours. All of these suggestions are from house tips by Tina Jepson and are followed by Dial-A-Maid of Evanston, IL.