Places in your kitchen where mold could be hiding by the Best and Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL. Kitchens are supposed to be spaces for cooking and meeting, not a breeding ground for mold. But because kitchens have a lot of moisture, they offer a perfect setting for mold to grow, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
Here are a few of those spaces that can harbor mold.
- A kitchen sponge has about 45 billion bacteria per square centimeter and is a perfect medium for mold to grow. To avoid spreading any possible mold around your kitchen when wiping down the countertops, throw your sponge into the dishwasher everytime you run the appliance and replace the sponge every 2 weeks, says the Cautious Dial-A-Maid.
- The dishwasher cleans and sanitizes all the dirty dishes, but spraying water behind the door that is almost always closed, can lead to mold growth. Therefore, keep the door propped open after a cycle has finished running until the interior has completely dried out, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Any appliance that handles liquids and had a tight fitting lid is ripe for mold growth. A blender fits the bill. Every time you use the blender for a smoothie or whatever, be sure to wash it thoroughly and completely dry it before putting it back together again and storing it, says Dial-A-Maid, the Premier Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL.
- Microwaves are another perfect place for mold growth. Fill a glass bowl with vinegar, put it into the microwave and run the micro for a minute or two. The mist from the vinegar will permeate through out the appliance, wipe with a clean sponge or cloth and dry well.
- Rubber spatulas are great but can harbor yeast and mold, if they’re not properly washed and dried. Always scrub off any food residue in hot, soapy, water and make sure the spatula is dry before you put it away. If it’s dishwasher safe, by all means put it into the dishwasher and run it.
- Routinely letting food spoil in the pantry is a great way to spawn mold. Eliminate the risk by getting rid of any old or expired foods and wiping down the shelves with a natural cleaner or vinegar solution, says Dial-A-Maid.