In Evanston , il 60201, researchers have investigated Kitchen Drains and found live bacteria . Water usually runs down the drain, not up, so bactyeria living in the drain don't tend to contanimate your sink. Here are some pointers to keep bacteria down where they belong.
1. Grease build-up is the biggest cause of sewer overflows. Hardened fats can also clog pipes, so refrain from pouring grease down the drain. Scrape meat drippings and used cooking oil into a can. Store your drippings can and meat scraps in the freezer until garbage day, so animals will not be attracted to your garbage.
2. Unless you have a garbage disposal, do not put food down your drain. If you do have a garbage disposal, you can clean, derodorize, and sharpen its blades at the same time by grinding up ice with lemon or orange peels.
3. Use a drain strainer to prevents bits of food from washing down the drain.
4. Chemical drain cleaners are extremely dangerous. Avoid them.
5. If your kitchen drain begins to stink or slow down, pour a half cup baking soda down the drain and chase it with a cup of white vinegar. Fizzing will occur as the vinegar and baking soda react. When the fizzing stops, pour a kettleful of boiling water down the drain. Your drain will be left clean, fast and sweet smelling.
Dial-A-Maid Cleaning Service in Evanston, Il. 60201, suggests these precautions to ensure you of a clean and bacteria free sink drain.