An attic or basement may seem to offer the ultimate storage solution, but if you don't plan your storage properly, these rooms can soon slide into chaos. Follow these simple tips for clutter-free storage, developed by Dial-A-Maid cleaning service in Evanston, Il 60201.
1. Pick out unwanted items.Take a long, hard look at what you have. Do you really need it? Have you used it in the last year? Have you missed it? If any of your answers are no, then donate the item, sell it, or throw it out.
2. Start to separate. Assess what you have left to store, and everything else will follow. Separate what's seasonal from what needs short or long tern storage, then plan what containers you'll need and in which sizes.
3. Consider light. Make sure that the storage room's well lit so when you need something, you don't have to grope in the dark to find it.
4. Get the right storage. Choose storage that does the job. Make sure it fits the things you're keeping and that it's dust and damp proof. Stackable storage will help to save space.
5. Label,label, label. The only way to find things quickly is to label them, and, in general, the bigger the labels, the better. When a box is labeled, you can send someone else to find it!
6. Use the walls. Make the most of the wall space by putting up hooks and attaching plenty of shelving. This not only helps keep the floor clean, but also gives you somewhere to store smaller items.
7. Keep a path clear. Make sure you leave a clear path through the boxes and don't fill the entire floor space.
8. Leave space in containers. Don't overfill your storage containers and make them too heavy. When you need to get them out, you don't want to risk injury.
9. Keep it clean. Once a year, take everything out of storage, dust the containers, and vacuum or sweep the floor. We here at Dial-A-Maid cleaning service in Evanston, Il. know how to keep your attic and basement clutter and dirt free.