Cleaning a dishwasher properly, by the Best and Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid. Knowing how to clean a dishwasher properly will improve it’s performance and protect your family’s health. Dishwashers can harbor all sorts of buildup. Actually, various fungi, which can cause breathing and skin problems, can be promoted in it’s very warm, damp environment, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
It takes about 15 minutes to clean the areas where bacteria, mold, and scale are likely to build up. Just be sure to start with an empty dishwasher, so you can reach all the surfaces you need to clean, says the Best Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Inspect and clean the racks, since peeling plastic and rusting racks can leave your dishes stained and scratched. If yours are beat up, use a sealant specifically made for dishwashers or purchase replacement racks. Also, examine the tracks and wheels on your racks, along with the cutlerly holder, for food buildup and mold. Wash and spray with 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill mold spores.
- Most dishwashers have a spinning arm on the bottom of the top rack and another in the base of the dishwasher. Look in the holes on the spinner arms to make sure there’s no debris or food in there. If there are blocked holes, remove the arm and scrub them to dislodge the build up.
- Clean the filter. There are 2 filters, an upper and a lower one. The top filter is directly beneath the bottom spray arm and can be removed by gently turning it counter clockwise. The lower filter is a screen like mesh on the bottom of the dishwasher. Remove any food particles you find there and give the screen a good scrubbing.
- Clean the rubber gasket on the inside of the dishwasher. Scrub it with hot, soapy water and an old toothbrush, taking care to get between the folds. Open the door fully to do this, and wash the bottom inside of the door. A lot of mold can have built up there also.
- The last thing is to run the dishwasher with a cup of vinegar poured on the bottom. This will get circulated and remove any build-ups, says the 45 Year Old Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
The above dishwasher cleaning techniques was promoted by Housewifehowto’s.com.