Cleaning oven racks does not have to be a disagreeable chore. All it takes is a little patience and not cooking in your oven for about 12 hours. Prepare your dinner from the night before and just warm it up when dinner time comes around. Or, just use your infamous crock pot!
Always start with a clean oven, on our other posts, we described how to clean to perfection your oven. So, while your oven is either being self-cleaned or cleaned with our baking soda and paste solution, take your dirty oven racks out and put them in your bathtub. Yes, your bathtub! It doesn't matter if you have an acrylic, ceramic tub or any other type of bathtub, you will get the same results with your oven racks. You will need the following items: 2 old towels, dishwasher detergent- either powdered or liquid, I prefer the powdered, a non-abrasive scrub brush or sponge, dry baking soda,and a dry towel.
1. Begin the project by lining the bottom of your bathtub with the old towels. This is very important because it protects your bathtub from getting scratched. Put your oven racks on top of the towels.
2. Put enough very hot water in your bathtub to fully immerse your oven racks.
3. Add 1/2 cup of your dishwasher detergent to the bathtub. Move the water around until the detergent is fully dissolved.
4. Let them soak in the solution for at least 8 hours or, better yet, overnight.
5. In the morning, take your non-abrasive sponge and baking soda and start to scrub the racks. You'll be pleasantly surprised to see that all the caked -on grease and dirt just disintegrate and just falls off very easily. If you have any stubborn stains, just add a little more baking soda to your scrub sponge and apply a little more elbow grease. You shouldn't have to do this, unless you have let your oven racks go for a very long time.
6. Rinse your racks with water and dry them completely before putting them back into your oven. Voila, you'll have clean, grease- free oven racks. Your food will taste and smell much better and be much healthier with your clean oven and oven racks, says a 40+ year old Residential Cleaning Company in Evanston, Il.