Basement cleanup by the Best and Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL, Dial-A-Maid. Basements are full of seasonal décor items, gym equipment, tools, gardening supplies, books, family keepsakes, etc. After a few years, things pile up and you can run out of space. So a major cleanup is needed, says the 45 year Old Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
Below are some ways to take care of your dirty basement, as proposed by Budget Waterproofing inc.
- Prepare to spend at least half a day down in the basement. Thinking you can be done in an hour is a big mistake and will never get the basement clean and decluttered. Also, avoid looking through old albums and reminiscing. You are in the basement to clean. Once you’re done, you can go back and look through all your albums.
- Wear clothes you don’t mind getting dirty in. Put a facemask to protect yourself from dust, allergens and mold spores. Also, put on goggles. Wear closed toe shoes and rubber gloves.
- Make sure you have enough lighting. Wash the windows, both inside and outside. Then bring lamps down, if there is insufficient lighting.
- Look around the basement and see the big items that simply take up the most space. An old couch or a piece of gym equipment you haven’t used in 5 years, should be removed and donated, sold, or tossed.
- Remove anything that doesn’t belong there. Toys left by kids and forgotten, empty detergent bottle meant for recycling broken items that you have never gotten around to fixing, etc. Sell, donate or toss them out, says the most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Sort through the bottomless boxes of stuff. Declutter your basement. Stay focused and come up with your own system of how to organize things.
- Vacuum up any loose debris from the floors as well as cobwebs in the corners and on the ceiling. Mop the floors with soapy water and run a dehumidifier to help with drying. Wipe the dust off the shelving units and containers.
Basement cleaning gives you a chance to see structural and health problems, such as water or mold issues, says the Best Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.