Cleaning Attics by the Best and Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid. Our attics tend to get grossly overlooked in cleaning. Time goes by and dust, dirt and mold collects on boxes, stuff and the attic floor. An attic that is dirty and cluttered can result in poor energy efficiency, animal infestations, damage to insulation and mold and mildew, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
Here are a few steps to keeping your attic clean.
However, before you start to clean your attic, put a mask on with a grading to filter airborne particles. Put on rubber gloves to protect yourself and put on safety glasses to protect your eyes from flying dust particles. Be sure to have additional lighting and keep your hands free with a headlamp or clamp-on light. Remember to always step on floor joists, not between them or you might end up on your living room floor, says the Most Cautious residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
- Take out all boxes, furniture, and any other items in your attic, before you start to clean. For items that are too big to remove, stack them in the corner and cover them while you clean the rest of the room. Wash thoroughly all fabrics to remove dust and allergens.
- Dust all walls, wooden beams, columns, baseboards, windows and frames. Don’t forget to dust any fans or fixtures. Also purchase a duster with an extension arm to get to hard to reach areas and corners.
- A vacuum might be your best bet if there’s lot’s of dust. Use a vacuum with a high efficiency bag or cannister filter to trap all the dust particle. Vacuuming will remove dead insects, dander, dust mites and allergens from the attic. Use extension and other tools to clean hard to reach areas.
- Inspect your insulation. Insulation should be at the same level of the floor joists in the attic. If the insulation is below that level, you need to add insulation.
- Check for mold. Mold is often difficult to see, as it is black or gray. This type of mold spreads very quickly. Mold can be brown, orange, green and is usually toxic. If there is a musty smell and accumulated moisture, mold will probably be present.
- After you have thoroughly cleaned throughout your attic, put all items and boxes back. Seal all the cracks and crevices to prevent animals from entering. This will also keep mold growth away and limit dust from accumulating, says the Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.