Additional Borax cleaning tips by the Best and Most Thorough Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL. Borax is a safe, naturally occurring mineral that is mined from evaporated lakes in California and Turkey. It is used in many different household cleaning products, says the Premier Residential House Cleaning and Maid Service in Evanston, IL., Dial-A-Maid.
Below are listed a few more cleaning tips that Borax effectively can be used.
- Erase sink stains from stainless steel or porcelain sinks with a paste of 1 cup of Borax and ¼ cup lemon juice. Use a sponge or cloth and rub the paste into the stains, then rinse with warm water.
- Sanitize your garbage disposals by sprinkling 3 tablespoons of Borax into the drain. Let it sit for 1 hour, then rinse with plenty of warm water.
- Deodorize a mattress to remove odors caused by sweat or urine. Dampen the surface of the mattress where the odor is most concentrated, then rub in Borax with a damp cloth. Let the mattress dry completely, then vacuum up the dried powder.
- Deodorize a smelly garbage can by filling it with water and adding a scoop of Borax. Let it soak for an hour, then rinse clean. Dry it completely, then sprinkle a little Borax on the bottom of the can to help deter bugs and absorb odor causing moisture.
- Remove mildew and musty odors from linens by soaking them in a solution of 2 quarts water and ½ cup Borax. Soak for a few hours, then rinse well.
- Make slime for the kids and grandkids by combining in a bowl, 4 ounces of school glue, ½ cup water, and a couple of drops of food coloring. Stir well. In another bowl, mix 1 tsp Borax and 1 cup warm water together. Pour the glue mixture into the Borax water and stir. Discard any excess water and knead the slime to finish.
- To kill fleas, sprinkle Borax on dog beds, carpets, and other areas where fleas are hiding. Let it sit for an hour, then vacuum thoroughly.
- Make an all purpose cleaning spray with Borax, washing soda and castile soap. Mix 1 tsp Borax, ½ teaspoon washing soda, 1 tsp castile soap, into a spray bottle. Pour 2 cups hot water into the bottle. Shake well. Add 18 drops of your favorite essential oil. This all purpose cleaner is great to greasy smears and smudges. Also for kitchen counter tops, bathrooms, etc. Use it all over the house, wherever an all purpose cleaning solution is needed.